Saturday, June 21, 2014

DOLLS Article & Getting There

And here is the article I did for Jones Publishing.  So happy to be in print again!  I'll have another article coming out in August I believe in Haute Doll magazine.  That one will be about doll painting techniques and tips.

I've been in the process of selling my house which, needless to say, has been a tad on the stressful side.  That's nothing new,  I realize there are millions of people who have ventured into that area as well.  But for me, I just want to be moved and on with where I move to.  Dealing with a lot of the house stuff has taken my time and mindset away from feeling very creative or ambitious to get anything done other than look for an apartment and a new job in my new state.  To be honest, I haven't really figured out which state I want to move to, though I have the west coast in my sights.

My original plan, at least while I was in school, was to find a job working at Laika or perhaps in the movie industry in some way in set design or character fabrication.  I've applied to several positions at Laika over the last few years that haven't been fruitful at all, which is a little disheartening and has made me rethink what my goals are.  But, I went to bed last night looking at apts in the Portland, OR area again and then woke up thinking about my original decision to move out there - at least as a starting point - in the hopes of working for Laika.  Perhaps I could give it a year or so and see what happens out that way.  Maybe I'll land something in California.  One thing's for sure though, one way or another, I have to place myself closer to the area I want to be in to be able to take advantage of opportunities that come up that way... and not be here in Michigan hoping to find something.  I need to go and chase after it.  In the meantime, I will continue to work on my doll art and find avenues (such as writing for Jones Publishing on doll related topics) until something else happens for me.  I've always believed that if you want something bad enough, you have to make it happen.  Some days it just takes a little more to remind myself and push through the other stuff that comes my way and make time for art.

I did manage to create a Cat Woman Sea Wees doll last week that I am very pleased with:


No comments:

Post a Comment