Thursday, July 28, 2016

Make A Stand

My fellow doll rerootists (is that even a word?), have I got a DIY doll project for you!

It's a rerooting stand!

I don't know about you, but when I am rerooting, to have to keep picking up the head to put a plug in and then back down to load my needle with another plug and then pick the doll head back up and repeat over and over and over and over again - it gets loathsome.  So, I have often wondered what I could do or make that would allow me to keep the doll head propped up and in place as I plugged away.  I wasn't having any luck finding anything ready made via retail, so I figured I would probably have to make something.  Well, I had a eureka moment yesterday while I was working on my latest custom and FINALLY DISCOVERED IT!  I thought I would do a quick step-by-step tutorial so that you might be able to make one too if you need to.

Supplies you'll need:


- A plastic stand that has a domed base

- Plastic stand post (to place the head on)

- Packing tape (any strong tape would do, I just happened to have a lot of packing tape on hand)

- Scissors

- Some kind of small heavy weights (I happen to have a container of copper BB's on hand from making bears a while back.)

Step one:

Turn the base over to the underside and then place enough of the small heavy weighted material so that it's flush with the base of the stand base.

Step two:

Tape the area off making sure that it is very securely taped so as to avoid having to clean up a mess made from the weighted materials getting loose from the tape.  Again, tape it really well.

Step three:

Cut off any excess of the tape that you put around the base (or just cut enough to keep it clean and tidy).  I left mine looking a little haphazard here, but it does the trick.  And those little BB's aren't going anywhere.

Step four:

Place the stand post into the base, pop a doll head on it and WALLA!  You've got yourself a handy helper!


Best part was that I didn't have to spend any $$$ on supplies as I used what I had on hand.  It works really, really well!  It stays in place while I work on the doll head and, if I wanted to disassemble it to put it away, the stand post comes out so everything can lay flat.  Bonus!

If you make one to use, send me a photo of it and I would love to showcase it on my blog and/or Instagram feed!

Have fun!

- TR

No comments:

Post a Comment