Monday, April 6, 2015

Monsters In The Making

Was able to get these dolls painted over the weekend and styled their hair.  I am happy with these little monsters and hope to find more Monster High dolls out and about now that I know how to remake them.  Still need to make their custom dresses.



I am pleased with how they turned out as this was a new way of painting on vinyl for me.  I am used to painting on resin cast dolls for bjds, but painting on vinyl with chalk pastels and water color pencils is a whole different ball game.  It's all about building up "tooth" on the surface and building colors in layers.  Trying to force the pencils to lay down color only results in waxy buildup and tiny bits of the pencils breaking off - or worse - cutting into the layers you've already put down and sealed. D:

I really enjoy the ethereal appearance that chalk pastel lends to a doll's facial surface.  I often see when people take the time to wipe off all the factory paint, only to then repaint the doll similar to the way it was originally painted and while I applaud anyone's time and energy used to be creative and paint something, it seems like it's done in vain if only done to repaint it similarly.  These Monster High dolls have such beautiful facial sculpting with their wide eyes, button noses and pursed lips, it's a shame not to emphasize their sweet expressions without using a ton of garish painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment